Import

Questions and answers about Import

  • Importing issue

    QUESTION: We currently had to source one of our components to China and this particular company does not export shipments.  We also have a sister company that is directly down the street from this company in China.  What our procurement team has done is instructed the company to bring parts to our sister company and […]

  • Import of consigned goods

    QUESTION: One of the European facilities is planning to sell on consignment to a US customer. If there is no invoice at the time of entry would they need a proforma invoice or how would they show value at time of entry? ============= Answer: Yes a proforma, and a copy of the contract to back […]

  • Shifting from indirect to direct imports

    QUESTION: We have many retail departments that indirectly import (Vendor is importer of record) What are the pros/cons to switching to be the importer aside from the regulatory.   Looking into supply chain factors involved. ========== Answers: I’ve seen many issues with indirect imports, including: Freight included in the dutiable value, resulting in higher duties Duties […]

  • Importing rentals

    QUESTION: Our company is about to import a rental from the UK for 3 or 4 months. When filling out the commercial invoice, what are the specifics the shipper need to enter? HTS and real cost of the “machinery” or cost of rental? This falls under 7322 but should we use a special HTS for […]

  • Re-manufactured Parts

    QUESTION: Are there any US regulations or restrictions on re-manufactured parts being imported to the country? Are re-manufactured parts prohibited to be sold or used in the US? (“Re-manufactured parts” are spare parts restored from an existing part or core using standardized industrial processes in line with specific technical specifications; they fulfill a function equivalent […]

  • Re-manufactured Parts

    QUESTION: Are there any US regulations or restrictions on re-manufactured parts being imported to the country? Are re-manufactured parts prohibited to be sold or used in the US? (“Re-manufactured parts” are spare parts restored from an existing part or core using standardized industrial processes in line with specific technical specifications; they fulfill a function equivalent […]

  • US import liability after divestiture

    QUESTION: So I’m familiar with successor liability concepts in general as it pertains to US imports (and exports). It’s clear in the scenario that Company A sells Company B (including it’s EIN) to Company C. Company C inherits the liability for historical imports by Company B and it’s EIN (generally speaking). Question: Is there any […]

  • Importing on behalf of related company

    QUESTION: I read a lot of questions and answers regarding “Customs Business” and “Corporate Compliance Activities” on behalf of related companies and was wondering the following would be a solution for my company: The following operating companies are all owned by a Non-operating Unit. Company A (EIN 12345) – Employs a trade compliance manager Company […]

  • IMPORT MANUAL TEMPLATE

    QUESTION: Can the membership provide a template for an import compliance manual.  We have one dated 2005, but would like to use a more recent version.  Any suggestions? *************** Add’l Answer: Go to the CBP ISA link.  It gives a good idea for what your manual should look like.   Basically, it should have an […]

  • DECLARING INSTRUCTION SHEETS

    QUESTION: We will be importing several pallets of ampules from a foreign supplier.  Within the shipment of pallets, there will be one separate pallet of “instruction sheets” which are used to dictate proper use of the ampules. The quantity of ampules shipped will match the quantity of instruction sheets shipped. The cost of the instruction […]

  • RIGHT TO MAKE ENTRY FOR JV

    QUESTION: We are an importer self-filer. Our company also has a joint venture where we own 40%, the other company owns 60%. The JV has no employees, only officers, and has a machine at our site that our company operates and maintains. Our company pays royalties to the JV. Purchasing and payment are done using […]

  • MX ENTITY PREPARING CUSTOMS DOCS

    QUESTION: Is there anything in the regs or anyone had any experience where their Mexican entity  does the US import documents and recordkeeping for the US site? Is customs ok with this? ========== Answers: The Mexican entity generates the export invoice (our import invoice), sends this information to the US Broker to Manifest the cargo […]